Skip to main content
Create interactive lessons using any digital content including wikis with our free sister product
. Get it on the
Pages and Files
Ban Ki Moon
Cecil B. Rhodes
Empress Xi Ci
Add "All Pages"
Leopold Sedar Senghor
Leopold Sedar Senghor
Current City: Died in Normandy, France
Hometown: Joal, Senegal
Birthday: October 9, 1906
Political Views: Senegalese Democratic Bloc
Religious Views: Roman Catholic
I am 95 years old and currently reside in Normandy, France. I was born on the 6th of October, in Joal, Senegal, which is a very small coastal city only about 100 kilometers south of Dakar. My father, Basile Diogoye Senghor, is a businessman, and a wealthy merchant who was from nobel descent. My father also belongs to the Bourgeois tribe Serer, which is a minority group in Senegal. My mother, Gnilane Ndiémé Bakhou, (the third wife of my father), was a Peul, of the pastoral and nomadic people.
For the first seven years of my life I lived in Djilor with my mother and her brothers and sisters. Then when I was twelve I attended the Catholic mission school of Ngazobil. Later I continued my studies at the Libermann Seminary and Lycée Van Vollenhoven In 1928 I finally finished my secondary-school education. At first after leaving school, I had intended on entering priesthood, but I abandoned my clerical profession after I was told that I lacked a religious career.
I am a Senegalese poet, politician, and cultural theorist. I served as the first president of Senegal beginning in the 1960’s. I retired from office in 1980. I was the first African to sit as a member of the Académie française (French Academy). The Académie française is the board of the finest French men who deal with matters pertaining to the French language. I was also the founder of the political party called the Senegalese Democratic Bloc, which is the political party I am a part of. Aimé Césaire, Léon Damas, and I were the originators of the concept of Négritude, which is the literary and artistic expression of the black African experience. The term deeply influences the strengthening of the African identity in the French-speaking black world. I have been referred to by many as one of the most important African intellectuals of the 20th century.
"An intelligent enemy is worth more than a stupid friend". -Senegalese
"Haste and hurry can only bear children with many regrets along the way". -Senegalese
"If a centipede loses a leg, it does not prevent him from walking". -Senegalese
"If the dog is not at home, he barks not". -Senegalese
"If the eye do not admire, the heart will not desire". -Senegalese
Gnilane Ndiémé Bakhou
Basile Diogoye Senghor
Francis, Guy and Philippe Maguilien
Brothers: 1 (Name is Unknown)
Sisters: 4 (Names are Unknown)
Likes and Interest
Activities: Writing poetry is my favorite activity.
Interests: Religion and Poetry
Movies: Blood diamonds
Television:CNN News Station
Education and Work
High School: Louis-Le-Grand
College/University: University of Paris
(15 photos; 5 in each album)
Where I Lived Over the Years
< Me Living In Joal.
Click here to find a group to join!
You must join 10 groups from this site and this site only!!
Do you believe that god has only approved of one religion?
- EXPLANATION- I do not think that He would only approve of just one religion. I think that He would approve of many different types of religions. Religion to me is very important to me. I believe in the church of the Roman Catholic.
Are Conservatives and Liberals just physical manifestations of Yin and Yang?
- EXPLANATION- I don't think that they are similar to that of the Yin and Yang. I think that they are not as different as Yin and Yang. Politics are very important to me. I was a president of Senegal, which shows that politics are very important to me.
How do you feel about businesses requiring or preferring bilingual speakers?
- EXPLANATION i think that it is a skill that is needed for business to preform at their best. Business will make more money if there catering to the needs of their customers. I know many languages and I'm also a businessman so i can understand that its useful for businesses to ask for bilingual people.
How can there be an open debate if one side continually says that the other "hates America"?
- EXPLANATION- You can not have a debate if one side is not willing to even take in consideration of what the other side has to say. Each side of the debate has to be open to the others ideas. You can't have a debate with someone if they aren't going to listen to what you have to say. I would try to listen to what they have to say and then say will you listen to my opinion now?
Am I too lazy for school? Should I just quit and find something else to do with my life?
- EXPLANATION- I don't believe anyone can be to lazy for school. Education is useful for any job out there. I recommend that you stay in school. I had many years of education and I can say that it is needed to have a good job.
- EXPLANATION- As president of Senegal I had to debate other people to become president. Many time i had to debate other competitors. Being in politics you should know how to debate others. A very good skill being in politics is having the ability to debate.
- EXPLANATION- I love politics because i was the president of a country. Politics has made a difference on my life because i could help out the country of Senegal. I founded the Bloc democratique senegalais
legislative and won elections in 1951. I was the first African to sit at the Academie also known as the
Colleges and Universities
- EXPLANATION- Education is a huge part in the progress and growth of a nation. I went to the university of Paris. Having a higher education can be beneficial to having a successful future. Having the opportunities I have had in life have lead me to the life I have now.
- EXPLANATION- Business people will look at you better if you are bilingual. Many companies will hire you more easily if you can speak more then one language. Since I'm in politics i can understand that it is very helpful to work with people that can speak many languages. It's a good idea to start to learn many languages now a days because many companies need people that can.
- EXPLANATION- Family means the world to me. I grew up in a medium size family and they taught me family values. Even though, my dad was married to 2 other women when with my mom because thats how many other families in my town grew up. As a father I think I did a good job raising my children.
Click here to find a quiz to take!
You must take at least 5 quizzes from this site and this site only!!
Which Feeling Are You?
You're a very secret type of person, so naturally the Misty Secrecy feeling would suit you best. You're an observer and people want to find out more about you which leaves them fascinated. If you ever think badly of yourself, don't beacause people respect you and know not to mess with you. ROCK ON!!!
Which era are you from?
You are very hip, and you love peace signs and are carefree!!
What kind of novel are you?
Suspense and action
You live in a big thriller. You are fighting against the other in almost everything, even if you don't know who the other party.
What time of the day are you?
WOW! MY RESULT.YOU ARE A BIT MYSTERIOUS IN AWAY .YOU ARE A BIT OF A LONER AND YOU LOVE TO DREAM.YOU LIKE UNUSUAL,EXOTIC THINGS AND HAVE QUITE A VIVID IMAGINATION
Which Type of Dream Are You?
You are the dream that has a certain, illusional twist on your reality. The dream could include your family, your best friend, or even just some random girl that sits next to you everyday in Algebra class. Sometimes in the dream, you can mistake it as if it is happening in real life, or that you think that you woke up when really you just woke up in your dream. Sometimes, these dreams can turn into nightmares, with bad things happening like a really bad hailstorm or a family member dying. Some can just stay dreams and have random, weird elements in it, like a panda in the garage.
help on how to format text
Turn off "Getting Started"